Why Enterprises are Embracing AI-Powered Customer Service Automation
The need to provide an exceptional customer experience is critical to business success—especially during this pandemic, which is having a significant impact on business decisions for 78 percent of customers, according to Nuance Communication. Is your Customer Service team overwhelmed with high call volumes and support tickets during this time? Even with reduced and remote staff, support agents are still responsible for meeting demand. Because enterprises must be innovative, they are looking to utilize scalable customer service automation to provide fast, personalized, and seamless support across all platforms.
What is Customer Service Automation?
Customer Service Automation is the method of resolving customer support through the assistance of automation systems like AI and bots. The goal of automation is to minimize the need of human support for mundane tasks and requests such as order status, account access, returns, refunds, or membership management. By automating workflows of these repetitive tasks, enterprises increase efficiency and deliver a positive, streamlined customer experience. The purpose of automation is not to substitute for agents, but rather to serve as a tool, enabling agents to focus on enhancing the customer journey and performing complex tasks that require more attention.
“By 2020, customers will manage 85% of their relationship with the enterprise without interacting with a human.”
Source: Gartner Predicts
By creating a positive, streamlined, automated experience, you remove the hassle of mundane tasks, making agents happy, while allowing them to work with customers on specialized orders. You also help build brand loyalty with quicker response times, rather than struggling to win a customer back after a negative interaction. In addition, you gain time to train agents to better serve clients and customers.
How Does Customer Service Automation Benefit Enterprises?
Automation delivers vital advantages, including:
- Empower customers to self-service: Self-service helps customers find answers quickly, with zero lags or delays, saving time and allowing users to fix issues on their own while reducing agent interaction.
- Faster resolution: Automating workflows for common, repetitive inquiries lets you prioritize customers with complex issues. This enables them to reach agents faster, along with making available the real-time data needed to serve customers.
- 24/7 availability: Unconstrained by time zones and holidays, inquiries can be resolved as soon as they arise, reducing wait time for a response.
- Consistency and reliability: Unlike humans, AI is free from biases, tardiness, sick days, distractions, and emotional reactions that could negatively impact the customer experience. Consistent performance and zero human error add a level of reliability for customers and improve their satisfaction.
- Short learning curve: New knowledge, such as customer service policies, protocols, hours of operation, etc. can be updated quickly in an automated solution whereas training would be required to update employees comparably.
- Cost savings: Automation reduces employee burnout and turnover, as support staff gain greater job satisfaction by performing tasks that are more fulfilling and add customer value. This means enterprises can save money on training and hiring new staff.
Even before the pandemic occurred, market trends already showed an increase in the adoption of AI-powered Customer Service Automation, As Millennials take over one-third of the workforce, enterprises are trying to cater to their expectations of the customer service experience and satisfy this emerging demographic.
Enterprises need to act in a timely way to protect their brand identity and quality of service because today’s consumers readily take to social media and other reviewing platforms. Known for being self-sufficient, tech-savvy, and resourceful, it is no surprise that 65 percent of Millennials would prefer online self-service over speaking with an agent (via Medium). The sooner enterprises embrace the efficiency that customer service automation brings to the table—especially during these times of unexpected change—the greater space they have to differentiate themselves from the competition.